How to make a memory book
A memory book can help a family member or a friend remember their life stories. We take a look at how to make a memory book and how it can help people with memory loss, dementia and disease such as Alzheimer’s.
What is a memory book?
A memory book contains a collection of photographs, pictures and descriptions placed in a book to help the person or others to remember a persons life’s activities or interests. Photos of friends and family members, events in their life or work can all be included in a memory book.
A memory book is different to a memory box because a memory box contains solid items that a person can touch and feel rather than photos and words. Though a memory box can also contain photos.
Why make a memory book?
Making a memory book can be a great way to look at a persons past and present life. The persons memories can be shared with friends and family. It’s a great way to help a person with dementia to recollect their memories and stimulate their mind. It also help the person with communication through talking about what’s in the book.
To make a memory book you will need
- A large enough book with clean, empty pages to put the pictures and write descriptions in.
- Either glue, Sellotape or some other way to stick the pictures into the memory book.
- Information you can write alongside the photos like information on the person’s birthday, children they have, history of work, marriage, school days, significant events in their life, etc.
- Photos of the person, their friends and family and historical photos of the person if available.
- Pictures from the person’s life events and timelines. This could be pictures from holidays, birthdays.
What photos and pictures to use in a memory book
When creating a memory book for somebody with dementia remember their condition. Using extra-large photos of people’s faces will help the person to see the photos better along with making easier recognition of the person in the photo.
You could also use cuttings of pictures from magazines and newspapers.
You could edit the photos before you have them printed by enlarging them on a photo editing software like Photoshop. This will make it easier for the person to recognise the person in the photos.
Try not to put pictures of dead parents in a memory book
If the persons mum or dad or both have died, it may be wise not to put these photos in the memory book. It may upset the person if they have dementia or memory problems because there could be a chance they don’t remember the pictures of their parents and you will have to remind them there parents have died. Which can deeply upset the person. They will have to re-live the death of their parents again.
You could also use pictures that also tell a story to help the persons memory. If the person was a policeman during their career, why not show them in their uniform. If they have been on holiday somewhere why not show them on the beach.
Write short descriptions alongside the photos
When you place the pictures in the memory book try to leave enough space to write a description next to each photo. The descriptions need to be short. Mention the person’s name in the picture, if the person is captured in the photo doing something, ie, cycling. You should also mention the activity they are doing. But always keep the sentences short and simple.
An example would be: ‘Here is your brother Steve and he is cycling a red bike.’
Some ideas for the memory book
- Pictures of family members. Children, brothers, sisters etc
- Birthdays of those in the photos and where they were born
- Pictures of friends
- Their wedding day, christenings etc
- Photos of them growing up. Childhood pictures
- Their school days
- Houses they have lived in
- Work places, Work colleagues
- Music they like
- Pets they have had
- Any important dates in their lives like passing out of university, awards they may have received, etc
- Hobbies they may have
- Favorite foods
- Places or holidays they have visited
If you have any ideas on making a memory book or have any tips on creating memory books please let us know below. Or Buy one from Amazon now